Banner Health believes leadership matters. We look for leaders who share our vision making health care easier, so life can be better. Our executives are at the forefront of the health care transformation, planning the future of Banner Health.
A great opportunity in academic medicine as a Department Administrator to manage faculty matters of over 150 faculty physicians on the Phoenix campus. You will be involved in physician related matters, recruitment, physician changes, physician contracts, escalations, navigate the relationship with Banner and University of Arizona to drive the outcome of physician satisfaction and operation efficiencies.
University Medical Group Join our nonprofit faculty practice plan associated with the University of Arizona Colleges of Medicine in Phoenix and Tucson. Our 800-plus clinicians provide primary and specialty care to patients at highly ranked Banner - University Medical Centers and dozens of clinics while providing mentorship to more than 700 residents and fellows. Our practice values and encourages the three-part mission of academic medicine: research, teaching and excellent patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position has overall responsibility for the Department's financial and operational performance in its clinical practice, research, and educational and training activities. This position has accountability for the operational success of the academic department in the College of Medicine (UACOM), and its clinical business enterprise which operates, in a variety of locations, as part of Banner Health.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Oversees all departmental financial systems including clinical and technical revenues, state appropriations, grant and contract income, designated funds and gifts received by the Department. Works with the Banner-University Medical Group Chief Financial Officer and the Deputy Dean for Financial and Administrative Affairs of the UACOM to develop and monitor operating parameters and ensure financial oversight and control of the department. Oversees the annual preparation and monitoring of the Department budgets with recommendations to the Department Chair on issues of organizational effectiveness, including clinical operations and fiscal management. Oversees management of the department-based portions of the revenue cycle. Directs reimbursement analysis.
2. Approves purchasing and purchasing policies in alignment with the University of Arizona (UA) and Banner. Prepares financial and administrative reports for the Department Chair. Interprets and analyzes financial statements; analyzes and budgets for capital and operational needs. Develops business planning for the departmental clinical enterprise and academic units. Manages expenditures and purchasing in accordance with all relevant guidelines. Collaborates with Banner contracting and the business office to set the clinical fee schedule and to determine targets for gross and net collection rates, contracted reimbursement rates, and non-FFS service contracts.
3. Oversees staff productivity and facility utilization. Regularly reviews established benchmarks (incl. cFTEs) to monitor clinician productivity and make recommendations to the Chair for cFTE or benchmark adjustments. Is responsible for monitoring and administrative leadership, in collaboration with other leaders, in improving patient satisfaction scores. Works with the Chair, and other relevant leaders, in implementing technology and workflow optimization to improve clinical practice. Monitors adherence to departmental policies and procedures. Participates in clinician relation and leadership development programs. Is responsible for management of physical and facility resources.
4. Maintains compliance with all regulatory and oversight organizations, ensures that the departmental practice meets regulatory requirements, and develops outreach in the context of health care reform. Exercises overall responsibility for the administrative clinic functions including front office operations and coding, billing etc. Works with the Chair to determine resource allocation to achieve established departmental and clinical priorities. Participates in the development and implementation of short and long range plans and strategies to meet the mission of the Department as it relates to UACOM, Banner Health and the community. Participates in committee activities at the levels of the Department, the UACOM and Banner Health. Coordinates IT support for the Department and Practice in consultation with UACOM and Banner Health IT departments. Develops and executes contracts in collaboration with the Banner Health Legal team.
5. Functions as the leader of all administrative and clinical support staff. Oversees all human resources activity for the Department, including department employees of Banner and UA. Oversees the hiring, termination, classification, training, salary administration, payroll, evaluation, and employee relations activity for all clinical and administrative support staff. Participates in faculty recruitment and hiring. Ensures policies and procedures of Banner Health, UA and UACOM are observed.
6. Interprets and ensures compliance with all policies and procedures related to facilities used by departmental personnel. Is responsible for all facility resources. Defines and identifies funding for equipment requirements at all locations, and prepares justifications and business plans in support of capital budgeting proposals.
7. Directly responsible for the leadership and management of assigned medical department. Interacts with all levels of senior leadership both internally and with University of Arizona College of Medicine leaders, physicians, medical support staff, patients and members of the community.
Expert-level working knowledge of principles, practices, and operations in assigned area of responsibility as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field and a minimum of five years of progressively responsible managerial experience in designated facility, business entity or area, including a minimum of two years management level experience within a major health care organization, health system setting, or large multi-operational corporate environment in complex industries similar to healthcare.
Depending upon assigned area of responsibility, position may require applicable certifications and/or licensures, including but not limited to: RN; MD or DO; Driver's License; Certified Healthcare Protection Administrator (CHPA); Certified Protection Professional (CPP); Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU); Associate in Risk Management (ARM); CPA; SPHR; Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA); Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT); Certified Healthcare Facility Manager (CHFM); Certified Facility Manager (CFM); Certified Coding Specialist (CCS); Certified Professional Coder (CPC); JD from an American Bar Association accredited school; admission to a State Bar Association.
Must demonstrate expert-level knowledge and awareness of area of expertise in designated facility, business entity or area. Experience working in an integrated delivery system, multi-hospital system, or managed care organization in a management level position in assigned area of responsibility. Proven track record of driving successful performance outcomes and accomplishing organizational goals. Experience anticipating and responding to the needs of internal and external customers. Experience managing a budget. Strong financial and business acumen. Knowledge of budgeting and forecasting methodologies. Able to analyze and interpret data. Skilled in building partnerships with management, staff, and stakeholders to achieve department goals and objectives; managing problems and situations where uncertainty is inherent; developing strong, enduring, and trusting relationships; fostering the development of cohesive teams; persuading others to adopt a particular stance on an issue; developing and evaluating best practices and emerging trends for organizational applicability and appropriateness; constructing new and innovative solutions for complex and varying problems and situations while considering the larger perspective or context; mentoring and coaching staff by providing open and honest feedback to enhance performance; developing and implementing strategic goals and initiatives that support organizational success; effectively allocating available resources; utilizing data and information to make informed and appropriate decisions; negotiating win-win scenarios with internal customers and/or outside vendors/partners; developing collaborative relationships with internal and/or external strategic partners and/or other applicable parties. Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills are essential. Leadership style and characteristics necessary to effectively perform in this role include: strong work ethic; results-oriented; persuasive; motivational; able to make rational decisions in difficult situations; inspirational; honorable; confident; systems-thinker; innovative; life-long learner; courageous; high-energy; integrity; collaborator; ability to work with teams; good listening; nonvolatile; values multiple disciplines; and passionate about continuously improving and providing high quality care and service excellence to patients, families, employees and physicians.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Master's degree in business administration, health care administration or a related field is preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R2072
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.